TWO of the Northern Rivers oldest established legal firms, Trenches and McKenzie Cox, are entering a new era.
"As a result of a merger we now offer a wider range of legal services ," said Mr Steve Pinchin, senior partner.
"The Trenches McKenzie Cox team will offer expert guidance in all areas of conveyancing and the law on the Northern Rivers."
With Trenches Solicitors and McKenzie Cox Solicitors coming together as one, lets have a look at their history within the local community...
The practice that was to become Trenches began in 1896 with Charles Champion. Four years later Champion was joined by Frederick Le Poer Trench.
Champion retired from the Lismore practice in 1900 and Trench continued alone until his death in 1927.
Trench's widow sold the practice to Albury Nowland and from 1929 to 1941 Nowland carried out practice under the name ofF.A.Le Poer Trench.
Flooding in 1945 caused extensive damage and the office was closed until William Percy Walters took over in 1946. A name change occured in 1948 when Keith Pinchin joined the firm, which was then known as Trench, Walters and Pinchin.
In 1954 Michael Best was admitted as a third generation Lismore solicitor before later joining his father at Lismore practice Mcintosh and Best.
Frederick Herron joined the partnership in 1961 and worked until his retirement in 1985 when he became president of the Law Society of NSW.
In the mid 1960s past Lismore mayor Warren (Frank) Oakes amalgamated his practice with Trenches, as did Michael Best. When Walters retired in 1972 his share was sold to John Maxwell.
John Lynes was another highly esteemed lawyer to join Trenches in the 1970s, taking on the role after being imprisoned in West Africa for campaigning for human rights and justice in Ghana.
From this time on many of the current partners and consultants joined the Trenches firm Ian Savins., Stephen Pinchin (son of Keith Pinchin), Karen Hazan, Steven Bull and Brendan Ware.
McKENZIE Cox Solicitors was founded in 1893 by Charles McKenzie.
A Lismore local, Charles was active in the community and played a big role in civic affairs of the growing town.
In 1927, Ivan Garfield Bondfield joined McKenzie as a partner and McKenzie and Bondfield was formed. Bondfield left to pursue his own practice five years later.
After several years, Berkeley Brendon Cox (known as Don) became a partner and McKenzie Cox was formed.
Charles McKenzie died in 1947 and from 1948 the firm became known as McKenzie, Cox and Gosling.
Kenneth McAlary joined the firm in 1948, became a partner in 1949 and retired in 1990.
Don Cox died in 1955. Geoffrey Morton became partner and continued working for the firm until his retirement in 2000.
Others joining the partnership over time included Daniel McOmish and John Goodwin, who began with McKenzie Cox in 1980.
Goodwin continued as sole practicioner until Richard Rowed joined in 2004. Richard died on October 18, 2007 after a short illness.